Derby County managers have been asked to show the English Football League how they intend to finance the club until the end of the season.
The EFL board meeting decided to try to clarify the situation.
Although manager Wayne Rooney said he expects to name the show’s favorite by the end of this week, the latest situation means that hasn’t happened.
Former owner of Newcastle Mike Ashley And a consortium that includes the former head of the rams Andy Appleby Stay ahead.
An EFL statement said: “Following its board meeting on Thursday, January 13th, EFL wrote to officials stressing the need to urgently confirm how they intend to trade while County Derby remains in management including the funding plan. Which would enable the club to meet its commitments in matches until the end of the current season.
“Without this vision, the league will not be able to approve any player contracts or renew existing registrations and this position has been communicated to the club prior to yesterday’s meeting.”
Quantuma officials said they are not in a position to finalize how the club will be funded immediately, although three parties have submitted bids, but believe they will be finalized in the coming weeks.
“The joint directors have an exit plan ready for implementation and approval by creditors, with the goal of adjusting the bids received to accommodate the EFL’s bankruptcy policy and requirements for creditors,” a statement from Quantuma said.
“The current difficulty is, in our view, the last major hurdle remaining to be dealing with certain claims that are much contested but advised by the Foreign Language Association that they cannot currently be bargained for even though the law states otherwise.
“While we accept that this is frustrating for everyone, none of the parties involved can move things forward until such time as an agreement can be reached.
“We are urgently seeking clarification from the Foreign Language Association as to why these disputed claims cannot be compromised.”
Jagielka leaves Pride Park
Without proof of funds, Derby is not allowed to sign players, so the extension of former England defender Phil Jagielka’s contract extension, which was due to expire on January 17, cannot be completed and he has left the club.
It is understood that Stoke is now on the cusp of signing him.
The 39-year-old has made 21 appearances for The Rams and it is understood Rooney is angry at his departure.
A club statement said: “Talks have been underway with Jagielka to extend his stay at Pride Park in recent weeks, but due to the restrictions under which the club operates, he has unfortunately been unable to mark a piece of paper.”
Hopes of a takeover deal are being hampered by the pending legal cases against Derby that include Middlesbrough and Wycombe.
In the event that this ultimately happens against the club, any compensation will be deemed a “football” debt and must be paid in full.
It is understood that none of the potential bidders are willing to take on the derby without some clarity on the issue, and the Premier League have suggested brokering a deal with Middlesbrough and Wycombe as the best way forward.
Rams Trust wants ‘candid’ update
The only ways Quantuma can generate money for Derby officials at the moment is either by selling players or if the preferred bidder expresses a willingness to put his money into the club.
My derby refused what Rooney described the bids as “ridiculous”. players earlier this week.
However, some rivals in the Championship are understood to be unhappy about turning down offers – at the same time Derby is negotiating with HMRC over a deal that will see more than £20m unpaid, off a total bill of £28m.
It is not yet known whether either party will be willing to pay 25% of the amounts owed to non-football creditors. Unless that happens, 15 points will be deducted from next season’s derby.
The Rams are at the bottom of the championship with 11 points, another 11 points from a safe zone.
The Rams Trust asked Derby supporters for a “full, frank and immediate update” of the situation from officials.
“The time to keep fans in the dark is over, especially with what appears to be a serious threat to Derby County FC’s existence,” the group said in a statement.