Here are the latest Newcastle United evening news headlines for Friday 14 January 2022.
Carlos is eager to move
European football expert Andy Brassell has reported that Sevilla defender Diego Carlos is keen on a move to Newcastle United this month.
Sevilla are considering a new offer from The Magpies after turning down a £25m bid for the 28-year-old earlier in the week.
La Liga title chasers are protected on condition that a minimum fee of close to £80m is issued, but it is believed that an offer of around £40m could tempt Sevilla to sell.
Speaking on Sky Sports, Brassell revealed that due to the contract offered by Newcastle, Carlos is very keen on the move.
He said: “In terms of would it be attractive to him? Yes it would be. From what I gather, his representatives are absolutely amazed at the perseverance that Newcastle have put in him and the contract they have offered him, which is really an idea in him.
“It’s a life-changing amount of money for him. It’s a lot more than Seville can offer, so he’s very interested.”
Seville coach resists
Seville coach Julen Lopetegui refused to be drawn into questions about Diego Carlos’s future, amid persistent speculation linking him to Newcastle United.
As previously reported, Carlos is said to be keen on a move to the Northeast and the La Liga side are said to be considering a bid from Newcastle for the 28-year-old.
However, speaking in his press conference ahead of Sevilla’s clash with Real Betis, Lopetegui responded angrily to questions regarding the future of his centre-back.
He said, “I will not go into this question. Not today – not in this window.”
“We’re not talking about Betis and Seville or anything else. You know what Betis-Seville means, right?”
here The whole story.
Howe on Longstaff in the future
Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe insists midfielder Sean Longstaff has a long-term future at the club.
Longstaff’s deal is set to expire at the end of the current season, although there have been no new developments regarding the extension.
The 24-year-old has been linked with a move to Everton under Rafael Benitez this month and a swap deal has been floated with Lucas Digne, who has now gone to Aston Villa.
However, speaking at his pre-Watford press conference, Howe believes Longstaff still has a lot to offer the Magpies, but any talks about a new deal may have to wait until the end of the month.
He said: “January is very intense for everyone associated with the club, and believe me, it was the most intense January I’ve had.
“So, in terms of the current players who have expired, they may have to wait until the end of January when we know we are safe in what we did.
“Shawn has a long-term future at this football club. I have admired him since I came.
“He was committed, he trained well and earned his place in the team. He got a chance against Man United, and I thought he was excellent.
“I thought the team was not particularly good against Cambridge, so we are looking for a response from the team, and Sean is part of that team.”
here The whole story.