PL Cup Report: Wigan Athletic 1-2 Leeds United

English Premier League

Wigan Athletic 1 (Costello 27′)

Leeds United 2 (Kenya 10′, Dean 66′)

Wigan: Tickle (GK), Trialist, Lloyd, Carragher, Long (c), Payne, Baningime, McGee, Costello, McHugh, Pinnington (Trialist 84′). Submarines not in use: Watson, Sumner, Welsh, Lomax.

Leeds: Van den Heuvel (GK), Sutcliffe, Ferguson, Keene (C) (Coleman 45′), Mullen, Littlewood, Miller, Allen, Dean, Gray (Carol 45′), McGurk. Submarines not in use: Christie (GK), Spencer, Thomas.

Place: County Ground, Leyland

Rule: Martin Woods

ReservationLloyd, Long, Payne, McGee (Wigan), Ferguson, Coleman, Dean (Leeds)

Stunning goals by Nohan Kenneh and Max Dean saw Leeds United’s Under-23 side win three points, after a grueling performance away from Wigan Athletic.

Head coach Mark Jackson’s side have been on top since kick-off in the Premier League Cup, knowing that a win would boost their chances of qualifying from Group E.

Sean McGurk was the first to force Sam Tickle to a tackle within just five minutes of the match. A powerful shot from a distance saw “the goalkeeper slip to his right and take the ball away, in a battle that will continue until the end of the half.”

Ten minutes later, Leeds made the lead that was well deserved by their early play. The ball landed on the edge of the penalty area as a dashing Kenneth composed himself by controlling his chest, before firing a shot into the back net to score a superb opening goal.

Danny van den Heuvel had to be vigilant between posts for the white shirt, and Wigan was denied a draw after a stampede in the penalty area. Right down the other end, Jackson’s team nearly doubled their lead but Archie Gray fired his shot into the foot of the post.

As the half-hour mark approached, the owners of the land tied. Having found a space on the left side of the box, Tom Costello broke into the area to strike with low power in the bottom corner, making it one each.

After Dean got too close, former Wigan player McGurk continued his battle with a tickle. The winger had two more shots on target, but both times the goalkeeper would have made great diving stops to keep the ball out of the net, meaning both teams went at the same level.

First Half: Wigan Athletic 1-1 Leeds United

Coming out of the second half, the Whites made a double change. Captain and first-half goal scorer Kenneh, along with midfield partner Gray, have been replaced by Sean Coleman and Keenan Carroll.

The start of the second half was relatively quiet as both teams were looking to stabilize once more in the match. Miller continued to have a lively appearance from under the wing for the Whites, while Harry McHugh was rushing forward for the Latex.

When he hit the target, it was another amazing thing. Leeds striker Dean received the ball in the opponent’s half, rebounded on his mark and curled a shot from 30 yards into the top corner to put his team forward.

The goal would have stunned Wigan and allowed Jackson’s team to retake control of the match as they held onto control well, going forward.

Entering the final 10 minutes of the match, the key moments were the stops that saw yellow cards issued by both sides.

Fortunately for Leeds and Jackson, this meant that his team could go through the final few seconds and take a well deserved and excellent three points, taking them into second place in Group E, with one match remaining.

Full time: Wigan Athletic 1-2 Leeds United

Leave a Comment