British Queen Elizabeth II has withdrawn all military ranks and royal patronage from her son Prince Andrew, who has been prosecuted for allegations of abuse in the United States.
Andrew will defend himself in the process as a private citizen, Buckingham Palace in London announced Thursday.
More than 150 veterans had already asked the Queen to revoke Andrew’s military titles. “British Army officers are committed to the highest standards of honesty, honesty and honorable behavior,” wrote former senior officials of the Royal Navy and British Army as well. that of the fighter pilots in the letter published Thursday. Andrew, who is the subject of a civil lawsuit over allegations of abuse in the United States, has failed to meet those standards.
“If it was another high-ranking military officer, it would be out of the question that he was still on duty,” the letter continued. The Queen is therefore urged to withdraw all remaining military titles and ranks from her second eldest son. “We understand that he is your son, but we are writing to you as Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.” These steps could have taken place a long time ago, but should no longer be postponed. Hours later, the Queen followed the veteran’s request.
If you want to have the latest news from Berlin, Germany and the world live on your mobile phone, we recommend our app, which you can download here for Apple and Android devices.]
A lawsuit against Prince Andrew came a little closer with the decision of a New York court on Wednesday: the judge dismissed the objections of Andrew’s lawyers who wanted to nip the trial in the bud. The American Virgina Giuffre accuses the prince of having sexually assaulted her on several occasions twenty years ago when she was 17 years old. As a result, it was traded by now-deceased American multimillionaire Jeffrey Epstein.
Andrew categorically denies the allegations. The Queen’s son has resigned from public office as a member of the Royal Family since the allegations became known, but has so far retained the military title.
Millions for an amicable settlement
In the abuse scandal, experts say, only a payment of a million can save the Queen’s son from a scandalous court case. The 61-year-old has no more good options, noted British media lawyer Mark Stephens commented on Thursday. “The damage must be limited.
Stephens believes Andrew should offer plaintiff Virginia Giuffre £ 5-10million for an out-of-court settlement. The obstacle: “Mrs. Giuffre will want her day in court.”
It is also what specifies one of the lawyers of the American. “It is very important to Virginia Giuffre that this matter is resolved in a way that does justice to her and the other victims,” David Boies told the BBC. But he left a backdoor open to an amicable settlement. The case is considered the most important lawsuit against a member of the royal family in recent times.
Apparently there would be money for a comparison. The Queen is unlikely to provide her favorite son with a dime of his immense fortune – it would spell disaster for public relations. But Andrew took precautions, as reported by “The Sun” newspaper. As a result, he wants to sell his chalet in the Swiss Alpine town of Verbier and expects an income of at least £ 15million.
“A bomb in the heart of the royal family”
Andrew has long been a burden on the Queen and the Royal Family. According to experts, as the proceedings continue, his position will become more and more untenable. Andrew was done, royal family expert Phil Dampier of The Sun said. He sees no possibility that Andrew – for example as part of the commemoration of the Falklands War 40 years ago, in which he served – again appearing in public for the Royal Family.
Currently popular on Tagesspiegel Plus:
Media attorney Stephens told the BBC that Judge Kaplan had “thrown a bomb into the midst and heart of the royal family” with a move that could trigger a constitutional crisis. “The only thing he can do is take responsibility.”
Legal expert Spencer Kalvin told The Sun that a lawsuit could raise some very intimate and humiliating issues. Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the case in reference to an ongoing process.
Andrew was briefly seen in public again on Thursday for the first time this year. The Sun and Daily Mail newspapers published photos showing the Queen’s son in the back seat of his car in the grounds of Windsor Castle. The 61-year-old seemed lost in thought.
Ironically, in the year of Elizabeth’s 70th accession to the throne, her son is at the center of the worst royal crisis in a long time. “Andrew needs to sort it out for his mother’s sake,” royal expert Ingrid Seward said. (dpa)